Thursday, May 10, 2012

Creating a Newsletter for my Art & Armour

Well, I've finally decided that I should create a newsletter for my art and armour. For me it will be a way to keep myself motivated to keep progressing in my work, it will help me to think about where I'm going and what I'm doing, and what direction I want to go in. It is also a way of tracking what I've been doing. I can keep a bit of track of my production and what I've accomplished over the last while. It is also a tool that I can use to give some comments on art itself and maybe pass some of my experience on.

I realise that this means that at least once a month I will have to sit down and write for a few hours to get it all done. What I'm actually thinking is that I will take an hour or two each week and write for this, then release it once a month. I know that there are some who only do quarterly newsletters. But I want to give more value to people.

So, here's what I'm thinking of for content:

A. Personal Notes: a little bit on what's happening in my personal life and how that influences my art.
B. Latest Projects: What I've recently completed and what plans I have for new works. May include some concept sketches for future projects that I'm thinking of. Future projects may or may not materialize, as is the nature of art. Sometimes there are other things that get in the way, sometimes as an artist I'm just not sure what the best thing to produce is. In that sense it would help for people to give me feedback or even if they see things they like the idea of they could commission it for themselves.
C. Upcoming Shows: any shows that I have committed to, whether trade shows, expos (like the comic expo in Calgary last month), or gallery exhibitions.
D. Contests I've Entered, if any. Suggestions from readers would also be appreciated for ones that I should consider entering.
E. Art Notes: comments on techniques, mediums, historical artwork, etc. Here's where I get to play teacher, historian, and art critic (ha ha).

What do people think of these ideas? Comments are greatly appreciated!

You can sign up for my newsletter on my website: Haidner Art Studio & Armoury. I expect to have it out within the week, probably on Sunday. How's that for a Mother's Day surprise?

2 comments:

  1. It's a good idea, I would find it interesting. Keeps people thinking about what you are doing, and perhaps sharing it with other people they know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I do hope that it helps to get people aware of what I am doing and that there are enough interesting and informative things in there for people, including what isn't simply about my work. :-)

      Delete