Friday, May 4, 2012

Calgary Comic Expo - a Real Learning Experience

So, last weekend I was at the Calgary Comic Expo, which had an estimated 50,000 people attend. Obviously most of these never saw my stuff, or I would have been sold out. ;-)  But seriously, I know that my Artist Alley space should have been much better displayed than it was.  I have a tonne of ideas for future such events.

One thing I'm going to do is make, buy, or rent a higher table to set up behind the one that is already there. This will add another layer and some more table space. Plus the higher table will give a bit of a backing to set up some 2-dimensional works on. So, imagine another, higher table that probably is as high as the open (raised) part of the jewellery case shown here.

Now, in addition to that I want to get something to set up prints of and/or original paintings and drawings on behind these tables. So, with that I can display much more! And speaking of displaying more.... I want to have a suit of armour finished so that I can set that off to the side as part of my display, too! Imagine how cool it would look, and how many people it would attract, to have that by my space!

And I want all of these moved into the back part of my space, so that I can be in front of it all the time. I would also like to have a stand-up easel so that I can do a little bit of work while I'm there. It would be nice to show that I do original hand drawn and painting work, rather than the computer generated stuff that is so common at these kinds of shows. And this whole set up would work at any kind of trade show!

I do have some upcoming shows:
  1. Mediaeval May: May 27, 2012 at Ritchie Hall (7727 - 98 Street, Edmonton), from 11 am to 4 pm.
  2. Discover-E Trade Show, June 23, 2012, at the Executive Royal Inn (178 Street & 100 Ave, Edmonton)
  3. Knights of the Nortern Realm, 11th annual Tournament and Market, Saturday, July 7, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Dr. Wilbur McIntyre Park, 104 Street & 83 Avenue - good weather location
    Ritchie Community Centre, 7727  - 98 Street - bad weather location
Come to these all. I'll have new work at each of them, of course. 

Hope to see lots of people at all of these!

2 comments:

  1. Your ideas for future booth design are good and putting you out front where you can interact is an excellent way of engaging people passing by and "pulling" them in.

    However, I would encourage you to consider focusing on a theme (i.e., "branding") for your booth that is clearly conveyed to the *consumer.* Your booth had hand-made jewelry, some pictures of armour you have made, metal neckties, weapons that you were re-selling, some sparring/training knives, WMA calendars, some materials for Academy of European Swordsmanship, and some of your drawn art. Individually, all are interesting, but as a whole the combination of items tells a potential customer very little about what you do and, more importantly, why he or she should buy from you. By my count, there were at least three other much larger booths specializing in weapons. There were dozens of booths selling art. True, there was a fair bit of computer generated art, but most of the artists present would sketch, draw, colour, etc. original pieces for customers on-site and there were a number of examples of original art (ie, not prints) at various booths. Many artists were drawing, painting, etc., breaking off to speak to customers when they approached their booths.

    While there were a few booths selling jewelry, none were selling traditionally hand-made metal-worked pieces. Focus on the area where you are not in direct competition with lots of other artists. Get high-grade photos taken of your jewelry being worn (e.g., mock wedding ring on hands photos, cloak pins on someone wearing a full plaid kilt or cloak, etc.). Photos tell a story, and help people visualize how your pieces will look on them. They also give people ideas about hiring you for custom pieces (eg, wedding rings). While you certainly can't take your whole silversmithing set with you, you could have a small workbench set up at the booth. Even if you're not doing much of anything, having the tools on display shows that *you* make the pieces yourself and reinforces that you do custom work. You have worked as a silversmith for years and taught silversmithing in numerous courses. Make this a selling point! "Original metal designs since 1995" (or whenever you started as a smith. When you eventually get enough armour made you can bring this in, both as pictures and, even better, as actual pieces.

    While you know the connection between all of the pieces you had on display at the convention, you don't have to convince *you* to buy from you. Make it easy for customers to identify what you do and why they should buy from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! I agree that it's hard to show a cohesion when I do so many things. It is one of my goals with future trade shows - to pick one or two themes and try to showcase those more. I think that the metal arts is one of those that I will be concentrating on. Not necessarily the jewellery, though. I kind of want to get away from the kind of jewellery and metal art that shows, and get more into things that are off-the-wall or more interesting in that sense.

      And I want the metal art to be more interesting, as well. I know it's more "artsy" and less commercial than most of the things that are seen at the comic-con (for example). But it's the direction I see myself going with that.

      As far as the drawings go, though, I know that I want that more into the fantasy style and perhaps a little from my own game system and a comic that I'm starting. I'll put more up on the comic (graphic novel?) once I've got a couple of pages done to put online. Started the story a few weeks ago, and started the comic this morning.

      As for selling the things made by Cold Steel and such, I do agree that it's not where I want to be at these. But I am also and "armoury". We'll keep that strictly away from the art shows from now on, though.

      I appreciate your feedback, and there are lots of good, valid points there! Thanks!

      Delete