Saturday, April 21, 2012

Calgary Comic Expo... On a Wing and a Prayer

It's been many years since I've sold at a Convention of any sort. I used to sell at SF and Fantasy conventions back in the 1990's. It was usually profitable. I sold only jewellery. But now I've expanded into selling prints of my artwork, and am hoping to take some orders for armour. We'll see about that happening. It's kind of scary!

For me this was a "last minute" kind of thing. I only heard about the convention a month ago and decided to see if I could get into it. And, much to my surprise, a spot came up and I got in! I would much prefer to have several original artworks available - and the prints for them - that are centred around the SF/Fantasy genre. A lot of my work isn't. I know that I really enjoy that kind of art, though. Yes, I'm the eclectic artist who does things in all manner of genres. But not everything is appropriate for all shows.

Blue Butterfly - 3-1/2" x 2" ink drawing
The big thing about this show is that I will be using it primarily as a learning experience. It is certain that I will be going next year! From this year's show I will learn what kinds of things sell, and what I should prepare for next year. I will also learn the best ways to present myself at this particular venue. Plus it will help me for other shows that are upcoming. I have one at the end of May (it's really small, with the Knights of the Northern Realm), another in June, and another in July. That's one each month! The May show probably isn't going to be a great seller, but I do expect to learn from it, as well. I'm thinking that I will have to figure out a way to display my prints, perhaps some original drawings, and a good way to display my three-dimensional works. And by June I expect to have some print copies of my game, too.

Selling a role-playing game is likely to be a challenge, as well. I wanted to have the system completed by March 30, but have been unable to keep up with that schedule. This is partially my fault, as I haven't managed my time (in March) as well as I should have. I've learned from that, and am now working much more diligently! I've realised that I was spending too much time on my marketing efforts, which haven't been paying off. I have since learned that having an extensive portfolio is more important at this stage of the game. And so I will be doing more production. In fact, other than the couple of tax returns I have to get done this weekend, I will be spending all of my time preparing for this show.

I will be making a lot of prints of my work. Some of what I'll do is art card editions and originals (ACEOs). These are the small prints, about the size of a business card, which I will be selling. I can think of a lot of drawings I have that are suitable for this! Or at least a dozen or so. ;-) My miniatures, such as the butterfly series are well suited to such a size. The butterflies, however, were originally done with small writing cards in mind. I was thinking of printing these on some good card paper and then selling them as such. I know I'll do a lot of those. I just hope they'll sell!

I will also be doing several prints of my gestural drawings, some of my fantasy ink drawings, and taking stuff to see if I can get orders for my armour. There is so much to get done! As much as I'm looking forward to the show, however, I am going to miss my kids. I can't take them to the show, as they'd have to miss school on Friday, and their mom usually has them on Sundays, so that would also be an issue. So I will drop them off at school Friday morning and their mom will have them for the whole weekend. <sigh> I will miss them a lot! Maybe next year I can bring one of them with me. My son will be old enough to handle it. And there are some events he might enjoy...

So, if you're in Calgary next weekend, come by the Expo and check out my booth!

No comments:

Post a Comment