Monday, April 16, 2012

Missing Being Able to Call my Kids

I thought a lot about my kids today. Last night my son called me from his baba's, surprising me quite a bit. It's very rare that he calls me at all of his own accord. But he is only seven-years-old. It was great to speak with him, even for a few minutes! And of course I also spoke with my 5-year-old daughter. She doesn't usually talk much on the phone, but when she does, it's hard to let her go, as she talks quite a lot!

I love hearing about their day! It perks me up to hear their voices, each day. But lately that hasn't been possible. Their mom's phone has supposedly broken down and she is unable to get it fixed. She says she can't afford it. I have a hard time believing her, since last month she spend 10 days in the Dominican Republic for vacation. I strongly believe that it is important for each of us to be accessible by phone because of the issues that can happen with the kids. What if there is an emergency? What if something happens to one of their grandparents? Or to the other parent?

I also believe that we should be able to speak with our kids every day. My kids' mom has a history of cutting off my access to them when she is angry and wants me to give her money. We're currently fighting about the money she owes me. Part of the issue here is that we recently sold a house and I refused to let her take the money from it, since she owes me more money than the value of the proceeds. My kids aren't tools. And I find it reprehensible that she has used them that way in the past. Ah well...

Most days when I talk with my kids they tell me about what they did at school. My son's big thing is to tell me that he hasn't learned anything. Then he tells me about the things that he did in school, which usually contradicts the previous statement. :-)  It's often amusing, but great to hear! But my daughter is more straight-forward. She tells me all about her friends and the things they did in school together, and usually proceeds to tell me about what "Madam" (her teacher) said that day that sticks in her mind.

 And the kids also like telling me about their friends, any crafts or arts that they do, and the movies and shows they watch, and any games they play. There is TV every day at their mom's, so I do hear a lot about that. But I enjoy it more hearing about their friendships, any games they play (whether with their friends, each other, or their mom), and about the things they like to make. I am surprised that their mom has chosen to fore-go this part of her day when they are with me. Her boyfriend does have a phone. And she lives with him. But I am shouldn't be surprised, really. Games, games, games... Why can't the only games that are played be the ones that our kids play? And that we play with them? Better to have honest fun, I think!

Maybe I'm just missing my kids today, without my usual contact with them. I wish I could call them now... <sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment